View the infographic.
On January 1, 2016, the Alberta government passed the Enhanced Protection for Farm and Ranch Workers Act. Bill 6 became a controversial topic that spread like wildfire throughout the province. Many farmers were concerned about being driven out of business and the financial strain of excessive regulations on their profit margins.
Since the legislation only applies to paid workers, farm owners and their family members will be faced with a series of regulatory changes in the coming years. Here are two ways that Bill 6 will affect your clients in Alberta:
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) insurance coverage is now required for paid workers. Employers have until April 30, 2016 to register with the WCB.
- Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) standards will apply to paid workers while they are on site. OHS investigations will become stricter and more common.
Now that Bill 6 is slowly integrating itself into day-to-day farm operations, your clients will be asking a new set of questions:
- How can I ensure I am legally complying with these new standards and regulations?
- Where can I find legal resources and advice if I encounter a legal issue?
- How can I prepare for health and safety investigations?
DAS Canada’s claims experiences show that an OHS investigation into a serious injury or fatality can cost you up to $100,000 in legal costs and disbursements. Do your clients have the financial resources to hire a lawyer should they face an OHS investigation?
Offer your clients the tools to defend themselves and their farms from the upcoming repercussions of Bill 6.
Legal Expense Insurance (LEI) is an insurance product provided by DAS Canada. It protects your clients in case of an unforeseen legal event by covering their legal costs and by providing unlimited access to general legal advice by telephone.
Under an LEI policy, DAS will defend your clients’ legal rights if they are ever faced with a criminal charge, a police investigation, or an OHS investigation. Farm and ranch owners will also be able to get insurance coverage for employment disputes, bodily injury, statutory licence protection, and more.
Find out how you can help protect your clients with our DASbusiness